Monday 25 August 2014

whipped dark chocolate ganache


I was baking wedding cakes with my friend Hanna the other day and we were stacking some {secret} caramel mud cakes with layers of white chocolate ganache when we realised the ganache we had made was far too runny to support the weight of the cake. "Oh well, we'll have to make some more", I thought; right as Hanna declared "It's okay, I'll just whip it."So she whipped it... and it was amazing!

Whaaaaaa? I didn't know that was a thing!


Anyway, now I do, and now I want to use it on every cake because it is rich, fluffy and oh so spreadable. I thought I should share it with you, in case any of you lovely people have missed this little phenomenon as well!


Whipped dark chocolate ganache

1/3 cup thickened cream
1 tsp salt
300g good quality dark chocolate*

*When someone says good quality chocolate I always wondered whether that meant I had to go out and buy Lindt or something else expensive - no, you can definitely buy the chocolate from Aldi (which I totally recommend - it's delicious!). It just means don't buy cooking chocolate or any other chocolate that is made with substitutes. Just buy real chocolate, the kind you'd want to sit down and eat on its own.

1. Place all the ingredients in a small pot and melt together on a low heat. Stir constantly.

2. Transfer into a bowl and allow to cool completely to room temperature. It will thicken, but will still be a spreadable consistency.

3. Using electric beaters, whip the ganache until it fluffs up and lightens in colour.

4. Spread it generously between layers of cooled cake.

It sets quite solidly, so I imagine it would work really well for a large tiered cake, or something that you have to transport. Voila! 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment